Seeing our world as God sees it.
The writers of the Bible presupposed that the supernatural exists, and that the earthly realm is NOT the final authority of reality. They understood there was another level that highly influences this earthly realm, and operates parallel to it.
Western Christianity, to its detriment, has lost touch with this elementary understanding and has, for the most part, considered this earthly realm as the basis for all its decisions, whether those decisions were evangelically or socially motivated. The major hindrance to our past attempts to set the captives free was looking for a natural or physical explanation to spiritual matters. In essence, thinking the physical realm is the first layer of reality.
Through the discipline of Spiritual Mapping, we
learn to see things as they truly are and not simply as they appear to be.
Spiritual mapping is likened to a doctor's use of x-rays and MRI to diagnose
what is being manifested on the outside of the patient. Like the doctor, the
intercessors can then treat the cause of the problem and not just treat the
"It is remarkable that up until recently we as
the Body of Christ have been ignorant of the invisible world. Oh, we have known
about heaven and hell and God and the devil, and many of us have been casting
out demons. That, however, is not enough to wage an effective war. George Otis
says, 'One would think the ways of the spiritual dimension would be as familiar
to the average believer as the sea is to mariners.' Such, however, is far from
the case. Why? Otis goes on to say, 'The problem seems to be that many believers
- particularly in the Western hemisphere - have not taken the time to learn the
language, principles and protocols of the spiritual dimension.' "
George Otis, Jr. - From Praying With Power © 1997
by C. Peter Wagner.
(Spiritual Mapping is) "Superimposing our understanding of forces and events in the spiritual domain onto places and circumstances in the material world." from "The Last of the Giants" by George Otis Jr.
Through the discipline of Spiritual Mapping, we
will now take the time to learn some of the language, principles and protocols
of the spiritual dimension, the 1st layer of reality - our new paradigm.
WHAT IS THE DISCIPLINE OF
Discipline = from the Latin disiplina
1. A field of study.
2. Training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character.
3. A rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity.
from Merriam Webster's Deluxe Dictionary
is a Disciplined Method to a Definite End
He said to them, “Go into all the world and
preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be
saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will
accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will
speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they
drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands
on sick people, and they will get well.” (Mark
"If they are to succeed in their mission,
Christian intercessors and evangelists must learn to see their communities as
the really are, not merely as they appear to be. If spiritual strongmen must be
bound in order to effect the deliverance of their captives (Matt. 12:24-30), how
exactly are they to be identified and resisted? If the god of this age has
blinded the minds of the lost (II Corinthians 4:3-4), how is this spiritual
enchantment to be broken?
The obvious answer to these questions lies in fervent and focused prayer- the kind that can only be sustained by intimate knowledge of the enemy's deployments and strategies. Hopefully, as Paul declares in II Corinthians 2:11, "we are not ignorant of his devices"."
from the Spiritual Mapping Field Guide by George Ottis Jr.
The primary motivation to do spiritual mapping
has to be evangelism. Through spiritual mapping we can discover the hindrances
to the Gospel message in an area, and then, through sustained intercession, we
Spiritual Mapping -
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
(James 5:16 KJV)
The Bible promises here that fervent prayer will
bring results. The question then arises, "How do we maintain fervency until
these results come?" Intimate relationship with, or knowledge of, the ones we
are praying for is essential for effective results. On a corporate or regional
level, this knowledge is obtained through spiritual mapping research.
To quote what George Otis, Jr. said during the
1993 Consultation on Spiritual Mapping, "Research produces details, details lead
to fervency and fervency leads to Results".
In the past, many of our prayer initiatives
attained results somewhat akin to the scud missiles launched by Saddam Hussein,
during the Gulf War. They had power, potential and yet, without direction and
guidance, most fell short without significant damage inflicted upon the enemy.
With the right detailed findings about a situation, informed intercessors can
"take out" enemy strongholds which hindered the furtherance of the Gospel in the
Like enemy intelligence gathering during wartime...
Spiritual Mapping gathers the strategic information necessary
for effective intercessory "smart prayer" deployment.
The above is copyrighted.
Copying is both permitted and encouraged provided reference is made to where
it comes from.
From Transformations - Ourselves & Our Communities © 2001 by Gary DeVeau and Eileen Koff
Isaiah 54 Ministries
Spiritual Warfare Series
Here is a list of key questions when Spiritual Mapping your city's history:
(from "Taking Our Cities for God" by John Dawson (Lake Mary, FL: Creation House, 1989)
1.What place does your city have in your nation's history?
2. Was there ever the imposition of a new culture or language through conquest?
3. What were the religious practices of ancient peoples on the site?
4. Was there a time when a new religion emerged?
5. Under what circumstances did the gospel first enter the city?
6. Has the national or city government ever disintegrated?
7. What has been the leadership style of past governments?
8. Have there ever been wars that affected this city?
9. Was the city itself the site of a battle?
10. What names have been used to label the city and what are their meanings?
11. Why was the city originally settled?
12. Did the city have a founder? What was his dream?
13. As political, military and religious leaders emerged, what did they dream for themselves and for the city?
14. What political, economic and religious institutions have dominated the life of the city?
15. What has been the experience of immigrants to the city?
16. Have there been any traumatic experiences such as economic collapse, race riots, or an earthquake?
17. Did the city ever experience the birth of a socially transforming technology?
18. Has there ever been a sudden opportunity to create wealth such as the discovery of oil or a new irrigation technology?
19. Has there ever been religious conflict among competing religions or among Christians?
20. What is the history of relationships among the races?
I have been blessed
by Isaiah 54 Ministries
Becoming a Partner with Isaiah 54 Ministries
More About Isaiah 54 Ministries
Transformed by Renewal
*Get The Transformations Study Here*